New Delhi 31st March 2020: Ministry of AYUSH Recommended Measures during COVID 19- Ayurveda’s immunity-boosting measures for self-care during COVID 19 crisis In the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak, entire mankind across the world is suffering. Enhancing the body’s immune system (natural defense system- immunity) plays an important role in maintaining the optimum health of the individual. We all well known that prevention is better than cure. While there is no medicine till date for coronavirus, it will be good to take preventive measures to boost our immunity in this critical time. Ayurveda, The science of life, propagates the gifts of nature in maintaining happy and healthy living. Ayurveda’s extensive & ancient knowledge base on preventive care derives from the concepts of daily regimes “Dinacharya” and seasonal regimes “Ritucharya” – to maintain a healthy & disease-free life. Ayurveda is a plant-based science and works in a natural way. The simplicity of awareness about oneself and the harmony each individual can achieve by uplifting & maintaining his/her immunity is emphasized across Ayurveda’s ancient scriptures. AYUSH Ministry recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to the respiratory health of the human. These are well supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
Ministry of AYUSH Recommended Measures during COVID 19
I General Measures
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama & meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH (#YOGAatHome #StayHome #StaySafe)
- Spices like Haldi (Turmeric- Curcuma Longa), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in daily cooking.
II Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
- Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1 tea spoon full ) in the morning. Diabetics persons should take sugar-free Chyavanprash.
- Drink herbal tea (Ayurvedic) / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Shunthi (Dry Ginger), Kalimirch (Black pepper), and Munakka (Raisin) – Once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar), Honey or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
- Golden Milk- Half teaspoon full of Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – Can drink once or twice a day.
III Simple Ayurvedic Procedures:
- Nasal application – Apply Til (Sesame) oil/coconut oil or Desi Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in the morning and evening.
- Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 tablespoon full of Til (sesame) oil or coconut oil in the mouth. Please do not drink, Swish in the mouth for at least 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by a warm water rinse. It can be done once or twice a day.
IV During Dry Cough / Sore Throat:
- Steam inhalation with fresh leaves of Pudina (Mint) or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be done once in a day.
- Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with jaggery (natural sugar) or honey can be taken two-three times a day in case of general cough or throat irritation. However, it is best if you consult the doctor if these symptoms persist because these measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat.
1 Above measures can be followed to the extent possible as per an individual’s convenience
2 The above measures are recommended by following eminent Vaidyas from across the country as they may possibly boost an individual’s immunity against infections.
- Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore
- Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi
- Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal
- Vaidya Jayant Devpujari, Nagpur
- Vaidya Vinay Velankar, Thane
- Vaidya B S Prasad, Belgaum
- Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh, Jamnagar
- Acharya Balkrishna ji, Haridwar
- Vaidya M S Baghel, Jaipur
- Vaidya R B Dwivedi, Hardoi UP
- Vaidya K N Dwivedi, Varanasi
- Vaidya Rakesh Sharma, Chandigarh
- Vaidya Abichal Chattopadhyay, Kolkata
- Vaidya Tanuja Nesari, Delhi
- Vaidya Sanjeev Sharma, Jaipur
Vaidya Anup Thakar, Jamnagar
Disclaimer: The above-Recommended Measures during COVID 19 advisory of the Ministry of Ayush does not claim to be the treatment for COVID 19.