Giloy Tinospora cordifolia Health Benefits:
Giloy Tinospora cordifolia, Guduchi or is also known as ‘Amrita’ which is known to possess a number of wonderful therapeutic uses. This medicinal herb is considered as health rejuvenator which is widely known for its effectivity in enhancing the natural immunity to fight against various illnesses such as skin diseases, jaundice, fever, constipation, hyperacidity, tuberculosis, leprosy, etc. Giloy is useful in the restoration and promotion of health and makes a person ready for holistic well-being.
Botanical name – Tinospora cordifolia.
Family – Menispermaceae
Effect on Tridosha – Giloy Tinospora cordifolia is very effective herb in balancing all the Tridoshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. As, when it taken with Ghruta (Indian clarified butter) – it balances Vata dosha, when taken with Guda (jaggery) – it balances Pitta dosha, and when taken with honey – it balances Kapha dosha.
Giloy Medicinal Properties:
- Rasa (Taste) – Kashaya (Astringent), Tikta (Bitter).
- Vipaka (Taste conversion after the digestion) – Madhur (Sweet).
- Guna (Qulaities) – Laghu (Light to digest), Snigdha (Oily).
- Veerya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot).
Availability of Giloy:
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) herb is found throughout the tropical regions of India. Its medical importance is known since ancient times, and from there the herb is used for a number of medicinal purposes.
Parts of Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) used to cure diseases are leaf, fruit, stem, and roots. However, the most important part is Stem and is widely used in Dried State.
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia ) is highly rich in antioxidants, anti-emetic, antipyretic (fever-reducing), antiviral, antimalarial, and has the best wound healing properties. Additionally, this herb is best in Hepatoprotective, Cardioprotective, acts as anti-inflammatory, analgesic, immunomodulatory.
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) Health Benefits:
There are a number of uses that are mentioned in our Ayurveda texts, some of them are given below –
- Detoxification – Giloy works as an excellent detoxifier and also improves the complexion and luster of the skin. Persons who are suffering from skin ailments often apply the Giloy oil on the affected areas and can overcome the symptoms and also enhances the general health of the skin.
- Helps to Boosts the Liver Functions – It has the ability to detoxify the liver and helps in proper functioning. Giloy acts as a wonderful remedy for fatty liver and also it can help to stimulate the regeneration of liver tissues that have been damaged.
- Anti-aging Properties – In Ayurveda Giloy is considered as the best blood purifier, thus it removes excess amounts of toxins from the blood and helps in reducing the wrinkles, fine lines, pimples, dark sports resulting in glowing and healthy skin.
- Immunity Booster – Giloy is used very commonly in the condition of any diseases because it works best in boosting immunity and helps the patient to get rid of the disease. This herb is recognized for longevity, improves health, enhances memory, boosting immunity and promotes vitality in a person. It flushes out the free radicals and removes toxins from the liver, kidneys, and other organs to improve health.
- Improves Digestion – Ayurveda recommended that once your digestive system becomes disturbed, a person will definitely suffer from some health issues, so it’s very much important to take care of your digestive system. In that case, Giloy improves the system and immunes the body against common upcoming symptoms like loss of appetite, vomiting, weakness, hyperactivity, abdominal pain, thirst, etc.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Giloy is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties and widely used in the conditions of gout, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, etc. Clinical evaluations show that giloy is very effective in reducing pain, stiffness, redness, and other associated symptoms.
- For Urinary infections – The wonderful herb is used to cure all types of urinary infections such as dysuria, burning micturition in cystitis, urethritis, albuminuria, haematuria, etc.
How to Take Giloy at Home:
A person can take powder of giloy 2 grams once a day with a teaspoon of honey for regular 2-3 months. Or can prepare a Giloy decoction by adding 1 teaspoon of powder in a 1 cup of water, boiled it and reduced to half a cup. Filter the decoction and can take once in a day. Fresh juice of giloy is also very beneficial. But if you are not able to find fresh giloy then you can also use an extract-based capsule. But please make sure about the quality and efficacy of the giloy extract used to make that capsule, In these days lot of companies just making the giloy capsule only with the raw powder which is not effective at all. Our Ayurvedic expert-recommended & stated that any herb powder needs to take at least 2gm to 3gm at one time but in one capsule dosage will be only 300mg to 500mg which is not sufficient to give the result.
Self-medication can be very dangerous. Always use ayurvedic medicine under the strict supervision of an ayurvedic doctor.