Know Amazing Tulsi Benefits for Health:
Tulsi Benefits- It is also known as queen of herbs in India, especially among Hindus, Tusli is considered as a divine or holy plant. One can find this plant in almost every Indian home. From our ancestral period, this ritual is going on, passed to every next generation & till today, we all are following it, worship it that too with full dedication …Because we Indians knows very well that our every ritual is having some scientific reason behind it which is only beneficial for us. Similarly, Tulsi is also a beneficial plant having miraculous medicinal properties. & the best thing is that it can be easily grown in our home gardens.
Tulsi, also known as Holy Basil, is an aromatic plant having sweet fragrance. Its leaves are grayish green in color, having rigged edges & a little coarse to the touch. Tulsi is commonly consumed in India as a tea. In Sanskrit, it is said that: tulanaa naasti athaiva Tulsi which means the one which is incomparable (in its qualities) is the Tulsi. It is rightly said as Tulsi is a kind of tonic for our body & has immense benefits right from the skin care till kidney stone problem.
So, Let’s Take a look at Some Unique Qualities of Tulsi & Tulsi Benefits:
- Stress reliever – Tulsi is a very effective adaptogen, a natural substance helping in decreasing anxiety level & promotes life expectancy. Adaptogen helps in soothing the nerves, ensures proper blood circulation & beats free radicals produced due to stress. People with high stress can chew 10-12 leaves twice a day to beat tension & stress naturally. But still its quantity & way of using must be minutely customized as its effect varies from person to person.
- Fight with Diabetes – Tulsi leaves are stuffed with antioxidents and effective oils that generate eugenol, methyl eugenol and caryophyllene, combination of all of which help the pancreatic beta (cells that store and release insulin) to function properly. This in turn increases sensitivity to insulin which brings down one’s glucose level and treats diabetes effectively.
- Heart tonic – Tulsi contains an effective antioxident component called Eugenol which secures the heart by controlling the blood pressure level and bringing down cholesterol levels. Consuming a few tulsi leaves empty stomach on daily basis can protect many heart ailments.
- Herbal medicine in fever – Due to its anti-bacterial & antibiotic & germicidal properties, Tulsi has the potential to cure any fever caused due to common infection or due to malaria. Ayurveda strongly advised a person suffering from fever to have a decoction made of tulsi leaves. One can boil a few tulsi leaves with its one-third powdered cardamom in half a litre of water & let it reduce to half its total volume. This decoction is then mixed with sugar & milk to sip every two to three hours. This is very good & effective remedy for children.
- Dissolves kidney stones – Tulsi, being an extraordinary diuretic and detoxifier is a blessing for the kidneys. It decreases the level of uric acid which is a key reason for kidney stone, clear the kidneys, acidic acid and some particles found in its essential oils helps in dissolving kidney stones and helps in reducing the pain of kidney stones. Intake of Juice of tulsi leaves with honey on daily basis for 5-6 months can clear the kidney stones completely.
- Protect & cure Cancer – Tulsi, having strong anti-oxidant and anti-carcinogenic properties, helps in restricting breast cancer and oral cancer progression (caused due to chewing tobacco) as its compounds attacks the blood streams & restricts the blood supply to the tumor.
- Keeps the hairs & skin glowing & healthy – The sacred basil has intense cleansing properties .& it can cure many troublesome skin conditions When eaten raw, purifies the blood giving the skin a wonderful glow, and prevents acne & pimples due to its anti-fungal & anti-bacterial properties. Aside from this, it helps in decreasing scalp itchiness and prevents hair fall. A blend of tulsi powder in coconut oil if applied in routine can do wonders to prevent hair fall. Eating tulsi leaves, drinking the juice, or adding its glue to a face pack can cure skin and hair conditions.
- Helps to quit smoking – Due to its very strong anti- stress compounds, it incredibly assists people in quitting smoking habit. It has a cooling effect on the throat just like menthol drops and helps control the urge to smoke by making a person busy in chewing something. Ayurveda relies heavily on tulsi leaves as a smoking cessation device. Also the antioxidant property of its leaves will help fight all the damage that arises out of years of smoking.
- Cures headache & related problems:Tulsi also relieve headaches caused due to sinusitis, allergies, cold or even migraines because of its pain relieving and decongestant properties. One can take some crushed tulsi leaves or their extract in a bowl of boiled water & them make it cool as of bearable hot. Place a small towel in it, strain out the excess water and put on your head. You can also dip your towel in warm water with few drops of tulsi extract on it to be placed on forehead to get instant relief from headache.
- Helps in respiratory disorders – Tulsi provides a great relief in cough, cold, & other respiratory problems like acute or chronic bronchitis as Tulsi helps to expel phlegm from the chest, modulates our immune system & reduces the amount of cough by suppress the cough centre. Tulsi leaves also have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help to beat the infection arise in respiratory system. It also helps in getting relief from congestion due to the presence of potent components like camphene, eugenol and cineole in its essential oils. Due to its anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties, Tulsi also help to treat allergic respiratory problems.
In this way, Tulsi Benefits offers remarkable preventative and curative potential with respect to many degenerative disorders. It also enhances strength and endurance of the body by using the available oxygen efficiently, improves digestion by boosting the immune system, slows aging, provides a rich supply of antioxidants and other nutrients and even repels mosquitoes and harmful insects.
But as a coin always has two sides, Tulsi must also be used with utmost care as its wrong usage may lead to some serious issues like it must be avoided during pregnancy as it may possible that Tulsi may bring on contractions which can lead to miscarriage also.
Article Author : Dr. Baldeep Kour– Editor in Chief – “Ayurveda For Healthy Living ” (Ayurveda magazine publishing from Chandigarh ), Medical Director & Co-Founder of Deep Ayurevda. A renowned ayurvedic doctor of Chandigarh.
Statutory warning : Self medication can be very dangerous. Always use ayurvedic medicine under the strict supervision of an ayurvedic doctor.
Disclaimer : The Editorial Team of “Ayurveda For Healthy Living” is not responsible for any errors in the contentsor any consequences arising from the use of information published on online portal of ayurveda magazine “Ayurveda For Healthy Living”.