Kasani (Chicory) Introduction:
Kasani (Chicory), commonly known as Kasni, is the all-time preferred herb by the Ayurvedic physicians for its medicinal benefits. Kasni grows throughout India, especially in the northwestern and southern parts of the country. This plant has its origin in Europe and now has spread all over the world.
It is a bushy perennial plant that attains a height of 1 to 3 feet. Leaves are bitter in taste having the shape of a sphere and branches are hard. Flowers are of a blue or lavender color
which is a bit thicker at the center. Fruit is angular, having a light color. Root is fleshy which resembles the tail of a cow having brown as outer color with white color from inside.
It is generally found in cultivated lands and gardens. Green leaves of Kasni is being eaten as a salad. Kasni can be widely used in a different form of paste, powder and even juice. The rich and varied nutrients found in the plant makes it a key ingredient in preparing various herbal formulations to cure diseases related to the liver, brain, digestive system, eyes, and nervous and muscular system.
Chemical Constituents :
Their seed contains oil which is non-volatile in nature & the roots have a sticky substance which is about 7.5 % along with glucose 1.1 %, bitter substance 4 %, a bit of fat 0.6 %, cellulose, insulin, and resins etc. It also contains colorless potassium glycosides, Cichorium, lactucina, and intybin. The roots, when roasted gives a peculiar smell & often used as coffee. Not just this, this plant is rich in a maximum of the nutrients and vitamins such as calcium, iron, phosphorus and Vitamin A & C, proteins, fat, fiber, and carbohydrates. This oil extracted from the plant contains the Palmitic, Oleic, Stearic, and Linoleic acids.
Botanical Source: Whole plant of Cichorium incubus and C. endive.
English Name : Endive/ Chicory
Sanskrit Name: Kasni
Guna (properties) – Laghu (light) & Ruksh (dry)
Rasa (taste) – Tikta (bitter)
Veerya (potency) – Ushna (hot)
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Kapha & Pitta
Part Used: Roots, leaves, and seeds.
Health-related disorders on which Kasani (Chicory) shows its effect:
A headache, Indigestion, Chronic fever, general weakness, Hypertension, Urticaria, Gouty arthritis, Burning sensation, Insomnia, Jaundice, Dehydration, Liver related disorders, Blood impurity & female problem of Menstrual disturbances.
Specialties of Kasani (Chicory):
- It is a relaxant which helps in inducing sleep.
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory agent & helps in relieving pain.
- It works as appetizer, liver stimulant and increases digestive powers.
- It not just purifies the blood but also provides the strength to the heart for its better functioning.
- It is also a herbal diuretic which helps in removing the obstructions of the liver as well as of gall bladder.
- Its roots also reduce the menstrual disturbances in females.
- It shows good results in lowering down the burning sensations in the body.
- It maintains the normal blood pressure & helps in all kinds of fever.
- Kasni can be made as a perfect eye tonic due to is one of the richest sources of vitamin A, which make it a perfect eye tonic.
- Kasni is a natural laxative which makes it beneficial in both preventing & treating chronic constipation & other digestive disorders.
- Kasni normalizes the temperature of the body, as it does the cooling during hotness and vice versa.
Specific treatments are done with the help of Kasani (Chicory) herb:
- Every part of the herb, Kasani (Chicory) is used in the treatment of almost all kinds of liver disorders like sluggish liver, enlargement of spleen, biliary stasis (stoppage of bile) & jaundice.
- The extract of Kasni leaves relieves pain & inflammation both when applied to an affected area.
- The aqueous extract of Kasni roots is a very good remedy & even a kind of tonic for eye troubles.
- A decoction of Kasni seeds during sleep helps improving irregular periods & other menstrual disturbances.
- Half a teaspoon of Kasni root powder, mixed with honey, could be taken thrice a day for immediate relief from constipation.
- For relief from painful inflammation of the joints, apply a paste of boiled leaves and flowers of the Kasni plant.
- In the case of Poisoning, the extract of Kasni leaves with the mixture of olive oil proves very much beneficial.
- The leaves of Kasni relieves mouth bleeding if chewed.
- The nervous system of the body gets stronger with the regular intake of Kasni juice when mixed with other fruit juices, such as carrot, celery, and parsley.
- A headache produced due to a hot climate is quite relieved by the application of the paste on the forehead prepared with its leaves, vinegar, and sandal. The same combination is effective in Urticaria and prickly heat.
- One can easily get rid of a sore throat & mouth ulcers by simply gargling with Kasni leaves decoction with salt.
Article Writer: Dr. Baldeep Kour– Editor in Chief -Magazine- Ayurveda For Healthy Living, Medical Director & Co-Founder of Deep Ayurveda.
Statutory Warning: Self-medication can be very dangerous. Always use ayurvedic medicine under the strict supervision of an ayurvedic doctor.